This marinade sauce will allow you to grill chicken with an authentic Nandos restaurant flavour at home. If you don’t like the sauce too hot, put in less chillies or don’t use them at all, you will still end up with a very flavoursome sauce. We like this sauce hot, so we are using 8 fiery small chillies.
- 8 small red chillies (African bird’s eye variety recommended )
- Half sweet red pepper (Romano)
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoonfuls of oregano
- Half a cup of vegetable or olive oil
- Half a lemon
- 70 ml of white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of salt
1. Chop peeled garlic, sweet red pepper and chillies into small pieces (discard stems, but keep the seeds from chillies and sweet pepper)
2. Heat vegetable oil or olive oil in a large sauce pan on a low to medium heat, when oil is hot, add the chopped garlic and sweet red pepper, the juice of half a lemon, the white wine vinegar and simmer gently for 10 minutes
DO NOT ADD THE CHILLIES TO THE PAN AT THIS STAGE YET
3. Remove pan from heat, add the chillies, oregano, salt and stir thoroughly
ALLOW TO COOL
4. When sauce has cooled, blend it into a fine puree.
5. Store in an airtight bottle or container and consume within 1 month. (Natural preservatives of garlic, chillies, salt and vinegar aid in the long life of this sauce.)