Step by step recipe to prepare Chicken Tikka Masala curry. There are many variations to this recipe and it is one of the most popular dishes in the United Kingdom. Serves two people.
- Chicken Breast (diced into cubes) 250 Grams
- 6 Red Chillies (chopped) including seeds (Bird’s Eye Red Chillies recommended)
Add + or – chillies depending on spice level desired
- 1/2 Sweet Red Pepper (deseeded and sliced)
- 2 * Garlic cloves (peeled and chopped)
- Ginger (powdered) 1/2 Tablespoon
- Turmeric * 1 Tablespoon
- Garam Masala * 1 Tablespoon
- Tomato Puree * 1 Tablespoon
- Vegetable Oil * 2 Tablespoons
- Coriander (fresh, finely chopped)
- 1 Onion or Shallot (small – peeled and sliced)
- Plum Tomatoes (mashed or blended down to a liquid) 400 Grams
- Yogurt (plain) 100 Millilitres
- Double Cream 100 Millilitres
- Salt: 2 pinches
1. Prepare the Masala sauce for marinating the chicken (note: Ideally the marinade should be prepared the day before so the chicken can marinate overnight. If you are pressed for time, marinade for at least 1 hour)
Chop into small pieces:
• 6 Bird’s Eye small red chillies (depending on spice level desired)
• Half a sweet red pepper
• 2 cloves of garlic
Blend the chillies, half a sweet red pepper, garlic, ginger, garam masala and tomato puree and vegetable oil in the food processor to form a smooth paste.
Place the chicken pieces in a large bowl, coat them with the marinade and leave in the fridge overnight.
2. Seal marinated chicken by frying
Add two table spoons of vegetable oil to a hot pan (medium to high heat) and add the onion, give the onion a few thorough stirs.
Add the chicken pieces to pan and cook on high heat to seal chicken, stirring thoroughly, this should take no longer than 3 to 5 minutes. Chicken pieces will be sealed once the chicken pieces have a caramelised look.
3. Finish off by adding chicken to base sauce
Add the chicken pieces and tin of plum tomatoes (make sure tin of tomatoes has been mashed or blended down to a liquid) to a hot large saucepan.
Add the yogurt and stir through.
Simmer gently for 10 – 15 minutes.
Just before serving, add a pinch of salt to taste and stir through the double cream and chopped coriander leaves.
4. Serve with rice.