Quick and easy way to prepare a delicious creamy chicken and mushroom pie, British style. Feel free to throw in ham or bacon inside pie before cooking for extra flavour. Serves 2 people.
- 2 chicken breasts (200 – 250g)
- 425 g Pack Fresh Puff Pastry (ready rolled recommended)
- 1 large onion (sliced thinly and then halved)
- 280ml double cream
- 200g button or closed cup mushrooms (button mushrooms go in whole, larger mushrooms should be sliced or quartered)
- 3 heaped teaspoonfuls of chicken gravy granules
- A quarter of a cup of white wine (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste once the pie is served.
1. Add puff pastry sheet to the bottom of a well-greased pie dish (use butter or margarine to grease the dish) making sure to cover pie dish thoroughly, including the lip of the pie dish. Tear or cut excess pieces of pastry and mould into pie dish as necessary to ensure thorough coverage.
2. Fry onions and mushrooms for approximately 12 minutes on medium heat (cover pan).
3. Poach chicken for 12 – 15 minutes turning 2 – 3 times.
4. Heat 280ml of double cream on a low heat for 3 – 4 minutes and then add 3 heaped teaspoonfuls of chicken granules and a quarter of white wine.
5. Stir until gravy granules have dissolved thoroughly.
6. Add double cream sauce to the pan of cooked mushrooms and onions and mix thoroughly (turn the heat off and set aside).
7. Slice poached chicken into slices, ready to fill the pie (do not worry if the middle of chicken is slightly pink as it will require further cooking in the oven).
8. Add sliced chicken to pie dish directly on top of a sheet of pastry.
9. Add sauce to the top of chicken on the pie dish.
10. Cover top of pie dish tightly with a sheet of puff pastry, bind this sheet of pastry using a fork.
11. Trim excess edges of pastry using a knife and discard (or keep to use for another recipe).
12. Bake pie in the oven for 18 – 25 minutes depending on the oven or until golden brown.
13. Serve with chips or roast potatoes and green vegetables.